Friday, March 9, 2012

If the World was a Village of 100




48 comments:

  1. one person would have a college that sounds crazy!


    Jeremy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your right jeremy if only one person had a collage education that person would have to teach or keep al he knows to himself

      Delete
  2. Watching this video made me realize that we have to appreciate what we have and do our best to make our world become a better place. Also there are many good reasons about having diversity in our lives, since 1, with it we can learn about so many different cultures and religions. Second, having diversity shows your originality and how you choose to express yourself.

    Also, something I noticed in the video is that it is trying to say that the majority of the people that are living in the village would die, but again the video said every time someone died 2 more would be born. Therefore I have come to a conclusion that if that happened each time someone died 2 would be born, so each time that happened then the population would grow 1 person every year (it doesn't seem like much but sooner or later it will grow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Cecilia it does not seam like much , and if that kept happening more people would go hungry and die

      Delete
  3. When I saw that it said "12 would have a computer. 7 would have internet access." I think of the blog I am commenting on right now and the video that I just watched and how lucky we are to work with and use technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While watching the video it made me think about how grateful I am. Such as having food in my refrigerator, clothes in my closet, a bed to sleep on, a roof over my head, and much more. We always have to think about how we can help make our world become a better place to live in. In the video it made me realize how fortune we are to have different people, cultures, and religions in our World. We are all are different people. We will never all be the same. As shown in the video 1 person dies, 2 would be born. That means our population is becoming bigger, even though people are dying more people are still coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with bernadette when I was watching the video it made me think about what I have and what some other kids that are the same age as me they don't have the things that we have like some have clean water but not all of them have clean water. Then I thought about what some of the families have and how some people have the essentials like food, and water. Then what really made me feel sad was that two would be born and one would die. Something that some of them don't have is a computer and I know that they don't really need this but to think if that was me and still now how good it feels to use one I would not be able to do it for as long as they do it and without internet is even worse. What is not good is that fifty three villagers would live on less that two dollars a day and also only one would have an education peer family I think.
      Alex

      Delete
  5. What I thought about that explanination of who can afford certain stuff is very scary and it wold be hard to live in that situation for your whole life.This is abot how many people in the world do not get a proper education, food, clean water and shelter because they could possibly have a disability or did not get lucky in being any healthy compared to other people in the world.It is very crazy that only one person out of 100 humans would get a good college to go to or to even get any college to go to.If 53 villagers would have a whole total of 2 small dollars a day, I would not know how to live like all humans should be trated like.(equality)

    Julian.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this video was showing world averages that were shruck down to a size of approximateley 100 and its scary to relize that if you have a house,food,clothing,and bedding we are richer than 75% of the world-most of the facts in this video were jaw dropping and for me it was the one i mentioned-and if i lived in the 75% of the world that would stink. this completely proves that the cost of standard living is available to very few and those who have it will often abuse it. govermental costs are going up by the day and its causing more and more people to go bankrupt-SCARY
    MARK$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mark. It's scary to think that 75% of the world doesn't have a roof over their head, food in their refrigerator, clothes in their closet and a bed to sleep on!!!!! I'm glad I'm lucky enough to have all of these stuff. Just as a fun fact: if the world had 6 billion people, 25% of 6 billion is 1 billion, 500 million. The other 4 billion, 500 million (75% of 6 billion) don't have all of those essential needs. It's sad and scary at the same time!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. While watching this video I realized how lucky we are to have acess to food, water, a proper education, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the reason that they made the video was to show how everybody is different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Romi because while i was watching this video i realized how lucky will are to have food,water, shelter and an proper education.Most people don't really have shelter and food,water and education.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that if only 1 out of 100 people had a college education, that would mean that one person would have the proper knowledge to be a doctor.

    Marcel

    ReplyDelete
  11. This video lets you think about the conditions of people in the world and how their life is compared to each other. Also this video teaches us that if we have food water shelter and warmth we have a good life in comparison to 75% of the world.We should not take these thing for granted and we should value the lifestyle we have.This video teaches us what we would posses and who we would be as a person if the world was a village of 100.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this video's message was to let people no in north america how lucky we are to have the technology, the food, the water and the shelter that we have. Also, it shows the HUGE cultural diversity in our world and how many people come from each culture and religion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well one of the things that I realized was that we are very lucky to have all the things we have. Also because when I saw that it said only that 1 person would get a education I thought of all the things we are learning now and how we should be very grateful that we have all that. Also, as Henry said, it shows the conditions that people in the world are in and how we should be a little more considerate of our actions and such.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well one of the things that I realized was that we are very lucky to have all the things we have. Also because when I saw that it said only that 1 person would get a education I thought of all the things we are learning now and how we should be very grateful that we have all that. Also, as Henry said, it shows the conditions that people in the world are in and how we should be a little more considerate of our actions and such.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that this video has a very powerful message and should be shared to more people
    EVAn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like many people have said already, I am very grateful for the place that I live in right now, a developed country where I have many things like a good education, technology, internet access, food, and water. This video helped me really forced me to understand what many other people's lives were like, especially those living in poverty because this video helped me understand how many people in the world are poor or living in poverty. I also agree with Henry that we should not take what we have for granted because we are richer than 75% of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My hypothesis is that the video is trying to tell people that if you are able to play during a storm because you have a roof and you can go on websites and you have furniture that you are richer than a third of the world.
    I never thought that i`m richer than a third of the world

    ReplyDelete
  18. Currently in the world, there is over 6.8 billion people. People living in poverty, without education, access to water or food, etc, is that whole 75% of the world. But that 25% would include millions people that are lucky have those things, some people don't really care since there are millions who are richer than 75% of the world.

    When we break it down to 100 people living on earth, you really get the idea of how many people are actually suffering from these global issues on earth right now. For example, 24 people wouldn't have electricity, 76 people would mostly use it at night. That's like saying most of the world right now, would mostly use electricity at night simply because they do not have access or because of the prices you need to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Anna. I thought that by breaking the numbers down, it was easier to get an idea of what the world is like today.

      Delete
  19. I noticed that 18 people would be white and 18 people would have cars. Is that just a considence?
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also noticed only one person would have college education. My teachers in the past have had talks about how it's important to get a diploma (for high school, too) and that one villager is kind of the percentage for some developing countries. %10 or less? Idk.
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I saw that 1 out of 100 people get a college degree that is sad to see because 99 people won't get a good job to buy the neccesities(food,water,shelter)for their families or themselves. Shouldn't everybody have a chance at having quality education?

    ReplyDelete
  22. When watching the video it made me realize how fortunate we are in our classrooms and homes to have and work with technology such as computers (internet).

    The video also made me think about how some of us might not think that we are rich but as in the video said, we are richer that 75% of the world. Which means we may not be rich, but we are wealthier than others in our world.

    When in the video it said only 1 person would get an education, I flashed back into our learning in school, and thought about how lucky we are to be learning different things and have an education everyday at schools and other places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. While watching the video it made me realize how fortunate we are in our classrooms and homes to have and work with technology such as computers (internet).

    The video also made me think about how some of us might not think that we are rich but as in the video said, we are richer that 75% of the world. Which means we may not be rich but we are wealthier than others in our world.

    When in the video it said only 1 person would get an education, I flashed back into our learning in school, and thought about how lucky we are to be learning different things and have an education everyday at schools and other places.

    Overall, 'If The World Was A Village Of 100' It would be very stressful and emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  24. while i was watching the video i realize we might not be rich by at least we have more things than 75% of the world and have more education than other we are very lucky to have education and to learned different things in school. If the world was a village of a 100 it would be very hard and stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This video is really amazing because it shows really the problems we have today in society like when you see it out of billions of people in the world it doesn't seem like much but when you narrow it down to only 100 people the problems start to emerge like in the village only 1 person has a collage degree to sustain a job for food water and shelter the rest of those people are working for lesser paying jobs the could affect them physically, mentally and in there social aspect of life that is why I think this video did a very good job of conveying the message.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think this video is amazing because it shows the problems in our society that some people pass by because when some people look at these problems and they see it out of billions of people, they pass it by. But with this, they narrow it down to recognize the problems that we have. For example, only person in this village will have a college degree so she can get a job and sustain herself. The rest of those 99 people will not have a college degree and the education they need to have a good paying job and sustain a livable income for buying necessities like clothes, food and water. This is why I really do think this video is amazing because it conveys the problems in society to a microscopic view to really analyze these problems.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think eventually the village would split up into different villages and eventually go to war, With weapons or not. -Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  28. Something that I noticed was that a little in the begin it said, " One would have HIV, 26 would smoke, and 12 would be obese" sun reading this made me think fist that I am very lucky and the next thing I thought was that with this then not many people would be able to stay alive because if they smoke ob=ver the years more would want to smoke and then they can get lung cancer (or other things that are deadly or painful), with obese there are risks of diseases that can damage your healthy living, such as heart disease and diabetes. Also that would be decreasing the population of the village. That was just one thing that I noticed about this video. Lastly this just shows the many problems in not only a village of 100 but in our world and/or community that we have and should try to change.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I thought this video was really powerful because with just a village/world of 100, this video allowed me to vizualize what the world would look like. I was shocked when it said that only 1 of the 100 people would have a college diploma. Also, the video showed me that there would be less than 25 people from each continent. I really imagined what it would look like. I imagined that we were on a normal walk with your family on St. Clair, my family of 4, I would probably see more than 100 people walk by. I imagined that I saw 96. Imagine if those 96 people were the only ones in the entire world!!!


    Also, I can connect to this because in my Kayak Canadian History Magazine, it mentions the book "If the World Were a Village" by David J. Smith. Instead of doing the same thing as in the video, the did something called "If the world were a school with 100 students".

    Here is what my magazine had:

    -there would be 50 girls and 50 boys
    -7 would speak Spanish
    -12 kids would have a disability
    -22 kids would speak some form of Chinese
    -3 kids would speak some form of Portuguese
    -21 kids would live on less than $1.25 a day
    -38 kids would live without proper toilets connected to sewers or septic systems
    -47 kids would live in towns or cities
    -8 would have a computer and internet service
    -47 kids would go hungry some or all of the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this because we can relate to this and have a better understanding because we can imagine it or see it in our heads

      Delete
  30. this video really makes you gratefull because it shows statistics of the human beings on earth,

    ReplyDelete
  31. this video really makes you gratefull because it shows statistics of the human beings on earth,

    ReplyDelete
  32. If the world were a village of 100 there would only be 17 cars.
    This is a important fact beacause it would cause a lot less polution .

    Evan!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. i think thats it is sad that all this happens easily and i think we should help the world instead of breaking down

    ReplyDelete
  34. I also feel sad about this because it said that if you have a house for shelter,your own closet for your clothing and a bed to sleep on you are richer than 75% of the people around the world,which i am.

    ReplyDelete
  35. When I saw that 36 kids didn't have acsess to clean water I was devistated because more than 1 quarter of the world bathes, cooks, and drinks in dirty water that can get them very ill and they might die.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was extremely suprised to see that 75 percent of the world's peole either don't have a roof, don't have clothes, don't have food, and don't have bed to sleep on.I also aree with vincent of how sad this video was because you can now see what most of the people on almost more than half the world have, and i agree with simon that this does make you grateful of the things you have now. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and but it is good to know about this sooner then later because then we can be aware and do something about all these causes.

      Delete
  37. i agree with julia i was amazed that 75% of the world dosent have a bed food cloths or a roof over their head i also agree with simon how the video makes us grateful for what we have but sad for those who dont have what we do:):(

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yea it's really sad that this is actually real life and as you and Simon said it really makes you greatful

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think the fact that most of the worlds population doesn't have enough food or water, a roof, clothes or a bed really sad. It made me somewhat guilty that we take many of the things we have for granted and that we don't really think about how lucky we are to have these things that so many people wish they had.:(

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am not suprised that some people don't have that much food and clean water but, wow 75%, also I agree that it makes us grateful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I found it really sad at the end of the video when it mentioned that if you have a warm bed etc, you are richer than 75% of us ad how some of us still want more and think that what we have isn't enough. This video really made you think about what the world would be like if all of the stuff said in the video was actually happening. It could be a good or bad thing.

    ReplyDelete